2020 New Student Orientation:
The Department of Naval Science at The Ohio State University annually conducts an orientation program for all incoming midshipmen the week prior to classes starting in the fall. The new student orientation program is designed to provide students with detailed information concerning the NROTC program structure and obligations and to familiarize them with the activities and expectations of The Ohio State University NROTC Unit.
The week includes focused periods of instruction that introduce basic military subjects: customs and courtesies, organizational structure, uniform wear, close order drill, and physical fitness sessions (to include swimming.)
Timeline : Specific Dates Coming Soon!
What to expect –
- Students will arrive mid-morning on indoctrination day (typically 4-5 days prior to the start of the academic calendar) to begin the administrative in-process.
- To facilitate early arrival to OSU, the NROTC will cover the cost of early move in with some exceptions.
- Parents receive a “Welcome Aboard” brief and enjoy a hosted lunch with NROTC Staff.
- Following the lunch, parents are excused and students remain to complete administrative matters and receive military uniform issue before being excused in the early evening.
- Scheduled training runs from before the sun rises until late afternoon / early evening each day.
- The final day will culminate with an early morning company run, drill competition and final inspection.
- Students are then released with no further NROTC related activities until the first drill period of the new academic year.
Navy Option Midshipmen
- Physical Fitness Requirements – All Navy option MIDN must now score “Good Low” in every category for the 20-24 age group, regardless of current age, to activate their scholarship and through commissioning. Failing to achieve these standards constitutes a failure, and the unit shall take appropriate action. Students should ensure they are within height/weight standards and are able to meet the physical fitness standards.
- Grooming Standards – Students are expected to arrive at New Student Orientation within U.S. Navy grooming regulations. Review the Navy Grooming Policy prior to your arrival to ensure you are within regulations upon your arrival.
Marine Option Midshipmen
- Physical Fitness Requirements – All Marine option MIDN and MECEPs must obtain a PFT score of 235. Failing to achieve these standards constitutes a failure, and the unit shall take appropriate action.
- Grooming Standards – All Marine Option midshipmen shall arrive at New Student Orientation with a fresh haircut in accordance with the USMC grooming standards found on page 1-13 at Marine Corps Uniform Regulations.